Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ice Storm 2007

Last weekend, local weather forecasters predicted that freezing temperatures and wintry precipitation would hit Austin by Monday evening or early Tuesday morning. The forecast held true, and, today, Austin has shut down.

So, first thing in the morning, I checked my work e-mail to see if my office was closing. The Texas Legislature convened, last Tuesday. So for the following 140 days, there wouldn’t be any likely circumstance under which my office would “officially” close. But almost all school districts and state agencies had announced that they would be closed due to the icy road conditions. However, I received no official notification that my office would be closed, today. I only received an e-mail encouraging me to use my best judgment in deciding whether or not to come in to work. My best judgment told me to stay home. I’m fairly certain only a few fearless [crazy] souls showed up to work, today.

The Governor’s inauguration and celebration still went on at its scheduled time but was held indoors in the House chamber rather than on the south steps of the Capitol as originally planned. An outdoor barbecue lunch was also planned to follow the inauguration. Apparently, they still had it outside but moved the event into some heated tents.

It’s hard to believe anyone in their right mind would schedule an outdoor event in the middle of January in most parts of the country. But 9 times out of 10, you’re going to have decent weather in Austin. That’s why the city shuts down almost completely when we have weather like today’s “Ice Storm” [read: light to medium sleet/very light snow]. Austinites are just not prepared for these conditions. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been out in wintry weather and seen someone wearing a jacket, knit cap, and flip-flops! [Note: I’ve also seen young hipsters wearing fashionable knit caps when it’s 70+ degrees outside in January—because it’s winter, yo!] And almost no one here knows how to drive on ice. So most employers just shut down business and take one day of zero productivity, now, rather than having a few weeks of low productivity, later, because most of their employees’ cars are in the body shop.

The day off of work has been nice [second day in a row after the MLK national holiday]. I’m amazed how quickly it’s gone by since I haven’t really done anything. I woke up; made breakfast; watched the Governor’s inauguration on TV; stared out the window at the sleet and snow; made lunch; stared out the window some more—only sleet this time; checked e-mail/surfed the web, and now I’m blogging. But it’s been the most relaxed day I’ve had in months, and I’m soaking it up. In a couple of weeks, work is going to be balls to the wall and will probably continue that way until the end of May. [I think I worked over 300 hours of overtime during the 2005 session.] This impromptu holiday is a welcome surprise.

From what I’ve read on the local news and blogs today, it appears that at least half of the Texas Legislature made it to town for the inauguration, and they intend to stay put due to the icy conditions. The question is whether or not they plan to get back to work at the Capitol, tomorrow. And what does that mean for me? The weather forecast calls for the sleet and snow to continue overnight and through noon on Wednesday, and road conditions will likely be worse than today.

Bring on the 5-day weekend!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home