Saturday, October 14, 2006

Ain't no party like a racially offensive party.

Why why why do college kids continue to throw parties with racially or culturally offensive themes? The "ghetto fabulous" themed party thrown recently [and, apparently, documented on the web] was mildly offensive and relatively harmless but still stupid. This kind of activity doesn't usually go over so well around college campuses, and college kids should know that by now.

During my first semester of college [early 90's], a Greek fraternity threw a party titled "Party in the Projects." The attendees dressed up and mimicked the same class of people as the aforementioned UT law students. But . . . several fraternity members showed up at the party dressed in Klu Klux Klan outfits! I heard rumors of scandalous photos from that party with the KKK guys pretending to torture other partiers in blackface. It was a pretty big controversy on campus for a couple of months. I don't remember what happened to the frat--probably just a slap on the wrist.

I would expect this kind of behavior from frat meatheads. You'd figure law students would know better.

I never "got" theme or costume parties. The whole idea of dressing up in a costume and going out is embarassing. That reminds me. Halloween is almost here. I don't like Halloween.

1 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, October 18, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

The problem with frats is that they stopped socially evolving in the early 1960s. Things that were socially acceptable back then are still being practiced there now. The rest of us moved on, but they seem to be preserved in amber.

Hey, I'm in ATX also. I stumbled across your blog because we both listed "both kinds: country and western" under musical interests, and then I also noticed you listed homebrew and beer among other interests. You might dig my blog: http://i-love-beer.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home